Sunday, July 4, 2010

File Under: Hollywood Housewife, Mummification


It's a choice between helping foaming-at-the-mouth Myron tear up my yard in pursuit of lost diamonds or go to my Beverly Hills office on a holiday to work. I'll go to work.

Today I have Susan on the books. Susan is the wife of one of the biggest film director/producers in the biz. She could Richard Simmons her way down to a size six if she put a little effort into it but that’ll never happen because Susan would rather take her husband’s money and buy cosmetic surgeries. In several weeks, Susan will be attending the backgammon Nations Cup in Cannes, and she wants to look her best when the cameras swing her way. No problem there, but if you ask me, she’s having her procedures done too close together.

Two weeks ago, Susan showed up for acupuncture with her nose and forehead covered in bandages. “Wait ’til you see my new nose, Charles!” she said. “It’s Grecian!” Then, five days later, Susan’s assistant pushed her into my office in a wheel chair. Not only her nose and cheeks but her eyes were bandaged over. “Wait ’til you see my new eyes!” she sang. “They’re Indonesian!”

For her appointment today, I expect Susan to be rolled in on a stretcher by a nurse, entombed in a full body cast, like an Egyptian mummy. The nurse will tell me Susan just had her hips, thighs, tummy, upper arms and breast done, and that the surgeon decided to reshape her cheeks and ears while he was at it. I’ll be forced to make queries like, “Tap once if your claustrophobia is getting better, twice if it‘s staying the same.”

Faced with the challenge of sticking an acupuncture needle through the plaster body cast, my mind will wander over to a nail gun the contractor left in the hallway...

No comments:

Post a Comment